Assure Slide is a swallowing aid that makes swallowing tablets, capsules and powders safer and easier.
- 15-33% of residents in skilled nursing facilities suffer from some level of swallowing difficulty.1
- Patients with swallowing difficulties may need extra care when taking solid form oral medications and supplements.
- CMS guidelines published November 2017 address medication administration procedures:
- The revisions now dictate that the standard of practice prohibits combining crushed medications or mixing them in food for administration orally or by feeding tube.2
- Slide can provide a simple, quick solution to both medication administration challenges experienced in professional healthcare facilities and to address the new CMS regulations and consequences for not following.
- Slide guides the medication from the mouth to the stomach, easing the swallowing process and may provide more comfort for the patient.
Slide Forte and Slide Zero
- Slide Forte, extremely thick, is sweetened with sugar and has a pleasant vanilla taste.
- Slide Zero, moderately thick, is sweetened with xylitol and has a pleasant raspberry taste.
- Slide acts as a carrier and stimulates saliva in the mouth and throat cavity and may help to minimize the chance that the dose will get stuck during swallowing.
- The slippery lubricating gel encapsulates the tablet or capsule, making it easier to swallow and more likely to reach the stomach without delay.
- Slide can be used with tablets, capsules and powders.
- The fresh flavor of Slide may eliminate the unpleasant taste and smell of tablets, capsules and powders.
- Slide comes in easy-to-dispense 500ml pump bottles.
Assure Slide is safe to use
- Slide breaks down quickly in the stomach by the gastric acid and does not form a barrier for the body to absorb the medication or supplement; hence, Slide does not affect the absorption rate or effectiveness of medication.
- Slide has no known interactions.
- Slide is formulated with food-based ingredients that do not interact with medications.
- Slide can be used when an empty stomach is required.
Assure Slide is easy to use
- Slide is a clear, gel-like substance, lightly flavored, that is taken with a spoon.
- A small amount is dispensed, via a pump, on a spoon along with the capsule/tablet and then consumed by the user in one swallow.
- Over time, you may increase the number of tablets you take per mouthful, increase the number of doses, and reduce the amount of Slide required per tablet.
1. Morris, H. “Administering drugs to patients with swallowing difficulties.” Sept 2005. https://www.nursingtimes.net/clinical-archive/medicine-management/admini....
2. Department of Health & Human Services (DHHS), Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS). (2017). Medication Errors of the CMS Manual System, Pub. 100-07 State Operations Manual. Retrieved from https://www.cms.gov/Regulations-and-Guidance/Guidance/Manuals/Internet-O...
Instructions for use
Intended use: For people with swallowing difficulties, a gel that helps to swallow tablets, capsules and powders.
Tips for Use
- It may or may not be necessary to crush tablets or open capsules when using this product to help swallow. Consult a physician before use.
- Slide may assist with the swallowing reflex if chilled.
- If using Slide for the first time, try it first without tablets.
- Drink liquids as prescribed before or after swallowing tablets and capsules with Slide.
- Slide is free from gelatin.
- Slide is gluten-free.
- Slide Zero is sugar-free.
- Store between 35-77°F (2-25°C).
- Do not use if cap seal is broken or missing.
- Use Slide within 2 months of opening the bottle.
- Keep out of reach of children.
- Consult a physician before use. Always use medication as directed.
- Slide is for all patients who can swallow independently and is not suitable for children younger than 2 years old.
- Do not use in the case of known hypersensitivity to any of the ingredients.
- Assure Slide is a swallowing gel designed to help those with difficulty swallowing tablets, capsules, and powders.
- If the text refers to `tablets and capsules' it is referring to all medications or supplements in solid form, such as pills, tablets, lozenges and capsules, as well as pre-packaged powders. The following forms are explicitly excluded: water soluble and dispersible tablets, medications or supplements in liquid form, such as syrups and drinks.
- If you have questions about this information or this product, please contact ARKRAY.
- Consult with your doctor or pharmacist before using Assure Slide.
- Place tablet, capsule or powder to be taken on a teaspoon.
- Apply a full pump from the 500mL bottle onto the tablet, capsule or powder.
- Approximately 1 teaspoon, one half tablespoon, or 5mL
- Place in your mouth and swallow at once.
- The gel is thick and smooth to allow for easy swallowing of tablets and a smooth passing through the esophagus to the stomach and can be used with tablets, capsules and powders.
- Slide moistens the mucous membranes in the mouth and throat cavity allowing the tablet, capsules or powders to pass smoothly through the esophagus.
- Slide breaks down immediately in the stomach and does not affect the absorption rate of medication.
- The fresh flavor and aroma of Slide may eliminate the unpleasant taste and smell of tablets, capsules and powders.
- Slide can be used by anyone who has difficulty swallowing tablets, capsules and powders but can swallow independently.
- Slide is suitable for anyone over the age of 2.
- Slide does not contain gluten, common allergens or gelatin. For a list of common allergens reviewed, contact us.
- Slide Zero is sugar-free.
- Approximately 1 teaspoon, ½ tablespoon, or 5mL of Slide is the recommended dosage. With this volume of Slide, tablets, capsules and powders may go down smoothly.
- A larger quantity of Slide can be used with larger quantities of tablets, capsules and powders.
- Slide can also be used in several doses.
- Chilling Slide before use may assist with the swallowing reflex.
- A maximum of three doses per day is recommended for children between two and six years of age.
- It is recommended that Slide is used by adults as often as pills are taken. However, Slide is made with food-safe ingredients and presents a low health risk if consumed in large quantities by mistake.
- Slide has not been developed specifically for patients with an impaired swallowing reflex.
- Slide is not a solution for patients who choke on solid substances.
- Slide should not be used for swallowing medicines in liquid or effervescent form.
- If you are over-sensitive to one or more of the components in Slide, consult with your physician or pharmacist before using.
- Slide Forte contains sugar. Consult with your physician or pharmacist before using.
- Slide Zero contains xylitol. Consult with your physician or pharmacist before using.
- Keep out of reach of children.
- Slide can be stored between 35°F and 77°F (2°C and 25°C).
- The use-by date is printed on the bottle.
- Once opened (bottle seal broken), Slide should be used within 60 days.
- Slide can be disposed of with ordinary household waste after the use-by-date.
1. Department of Health & Human Services (DHHS), Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS). (2017). Medication Errors of the CMS Manual System, Pub. 100-07 State Operations Manual. Retrieved from https://www.cms.gov/Regulations-and-Guidance/Guidance/Manuals/Internet-O...
|Product||Flavor||Oz||Case Qty.||Product #||UPC 015482-|
|Assure Slide Swallowing Aid - Forte||Vanilla||16.9||6||1000002||10002-5|
|Assure Slide Swallowing Aid - Zero||Raspberry||16.9||6||1000003||10003-2|